Ballyhaunis Community School

School History

Ballyhaunis Community School was founded in 1977 when the Mercy Convent, Vocational School and St Patrick’s College amalgamated. The Mercy Convent Secondary School opened in 1954 and was located in the grounds of the present St Joseph’s Primary School, Bridge St, Ballyhaunis.

The Vocational School was located where Manor Brook Housing Estate now stands, and was built in 1941. St Patrick’s College was on the site of the playing areas at the front of the present school and was opened in 1941. The present Community School caters for all the second level needs of the students in the catchment area and offers a wide curriculum reflecting the traditions of the previous schools.

The school also offers an extensive range of Post Leaving Certificate Courses.